Was your home or business impacted by the Aug 10th Iowa Derecho Storm?

My name is Cory Cumings – Owner here at Mitchell Roofing and siding LLC. I’ve asked my web team to put together a resource page for those impacted by the Derecho storm. Whether you need a roof or not, this page contains some great resources for those affected. Feel free using it to your full advantage! Below you’ll find Assistance application info, and links to pages that might have any info we might have missed. Now If you do need a roof allow me to me introduce ourselves. We are from South Dakota, and have set up a satellite office near Palo, IA. We believe in shopping local, and supporting the people who support you! We also know there there are so many homes damaged that not even every contractor in the Great State of Iowa could keep up. As of 9/22/20 Our team is in the affected area, we are 1-2 days out on appointments, sometimes same day if they line up just right! We’re 3-4 weeks out on roofs. Unfortunately, Covid-19 has put a extremely tight bind on the lumber world, so siding is a long ways out, right at about year, but we CAN do it if you’re willing to wait. We have been doing this for 20 years in our home town Mitchell South Dakota. We are bonded and insured in 7 States, Iowa Included. We offer a 25 Year Labor warranty and have an A+ Rating with the better business bureau. You can check out our page and read our reviews on facebook and google. If you need a roof and you can’t get ahold of your normal guy, please know we’re to help. We are here today, we were here yesterday, and we’ll be here tomorrow! 

Chris Neuheisel
Chris Neuheisel
Read More
Fantastic service all the way around. Starting with Ryan giving an estimate, Tiffany in the office being very helpful and the whole roofing crew. Fantastic and quick job on our roof and you couldn't even tell they where here after they cleaned up. Thanks again
Josh Zawadzki
Josh Zawadzki
Read More
Rave: Mitchell Roofing and siding. Earlier this week I had nothing but bad to say about them until they redeemed themselves. I thank Mark and Kirsten at Mitchell Roofing busting their asses to get my house done in enough time for closing. They have been very understanding of the situation and took customer service to a whole new level. They were big enough to admit when they drop the ball, but even bigger to go out their way to make this customer happy. Thanks once again guys for taking care of my house.
Tanya Struck Rasmussen
Tanya Struck Rasmussen
Read More
We had a very good experience with Mitchell Roofing. The shingling & gutter crews worked hard to complete the job quickly & were professional. Corey worked with our insurance company to get more reimbursements when needed. The window sashes were a bit of a problem, but Corey & his team kept working until a solution was found. Dwight installed the sashes & replaced some siding, he did an amazing job, cleaned up after he was done impeccably & he was very friendly to work with!


Need a Roof Inspection or Estimate • Click here to contact us directly to help with your home!

How to apply for FEMA aid and other financial help after Iowa derecho

The 11 counties designated for FEMA Individual Assistance are: Benton, Boone, Cedar, Jasper, Linn, Marshall, Polk, Poweshiek, Scott, Story and Tama.

Here are details on financial aid from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the state and other organizations. The state also has set up a website with information: disasterrecovery.iowa.gov

Updated Sept. 4, 2020


FEMA assistance for individuals and homeowners

Those who suffered losses in Linn County and 10 other counties can begin applying for assistance by through FEMA’s Individual and Households Program. It provides financial assistance for homeowners and individuals to help with disaster-related recovery needs, such as grants to help pay for temporary housing, emergency home repairs, uninsured personal property losses and medical expenses caused by the disaster. The federal aid is requested for other counties but has not yet been approved.

To apply:

• Call 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-462-7585 for TTY users. Users of 711 or Video Relay Service may call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers operate from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Iowa time seven days a week, for now.

 Or register online at DisasterAssistance.gov

• Or visit a disaster recovery center in Cedar Rapids (details below).

You’ll need this information to complete your registration: 

• Social Security Number (SSN) OR the SSN of a minor child in the household who is a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien

• Annual household income

• Contact information: Phone number, mailing address, email address*, and damaged home address (*You must provide an email address if you want to review your registration status online. If you do not provide an email address, you will be required to contact FEMA for any updates to your registration.)

• Insurance Information (coverage, insurance company name, etc.)

• Bank account information (if you are eligible to receive financial assistance, the money can be deposited in your account)

FEMA storm-assistance center opens in Cedar Rapids

FEMA opened a drive-thru disaster recovery center in Linn County on Wednesday, Sept. 2, where residents can get more information and submit documents for their disaster assistance application. The center will not be able to provide assistance for lost food.


Where: Parking lot between Cedar Rapids Kernels Stadium and Kingston Stadium at 950 Rockford Rd. SW, Cedar Rapids. Visitors are asked to enter the parking lot from the corner of Veterans Memorial Drive and Kurt Warner Way.

When: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. The center will be closed Monday for Labor Day.


It is highly recommended residents register online or by phone before visiting the site. Options to register are:



 Download the FEMA mobile app for smartphones


 Call 1-800-621-3362 between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. daily. Multilingual operators are available.


• For 711 or Video Relay Service, applicants can call 1-800-621-3362, or for 800-462-7585 for TTY services.


Applicants and FEMA personnel must wear face masks and applicants must remain in their cars as they hand their documents to FEMA personnel. 


FEMA reimbursement for lodging expenses

Iowans who have registered with FEMA may also be eligible for reimbursement if they paid out-of-pocket expenses for temporary lodging because their primary residences sustained damage during the Aug. 10 derecho. 


Temporary lodging includes hotels, motels, or other short-term lodging while an applicant is displaced from his or her primary residence.


Lodging expenses may be eligible for reimbursement if an applicant:


 Registers with FEMA.


 Passes identity verification.


 Verifies occupancy in a primary residence within a designated county.


 Verifies that the primary residence is uninhabitable or inaccessible.


 Incurs disaster-related temporary lodging expenses.


 Does not have insurance that would cover lodging.


 Did not receive lodging assistance during the same time frame.


Reimbursement funds are available for eligible applicants under FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program.


Applicants approved for lodging reimbursement must submit hotel/motel receipts that show a zero balance to FEMA to receive payment. Reimbursement will not cover incidental costs such as phone calls, laundry, internet, food, movies or pet care.


Red Cross financial aid for storm victims

Through the American Red Cross, qualified households are eligible for $450 to support emergency needs. Funds can help families replace clothes or food, offset transportation costs or support other immediate needs.

All Red Cross services, including financial assistance, are free and available to whoever needs it, regardless of citizenship or residency status, nationality, race, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, class or political opinions.

To learn about other resources that may be available to assist households as a result of Iowa Derecho, call 2-1-1 or visit redcrossdisasterresources.auntbertha.com.

To apply:

• Heads of household should to call 1-800-REDCROSS, and select prompt 4. The financial assistance application requires a valid text-enabled phone number and/or an email address for processing.

You’ll need this information to complete your registration:

 Documentation to validate identity, which can include U.S. or foreign passport, government issued driver’s license or ID, permanent resident card or consular identification.

 Documents to validate proof of residence, which can include a valid government issued driver’s license or ID, a deed, a mortgage statement, a lease or rental agreement on property letterhead signed by landlord, a monthly utility bill or bank statement, or an official document such as mail from a child’s school or vehicle insurance card, dated between July 11, 2020 and Sept. 9, 2020.

• Bank account information. Funds will be made available using Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).


Rental and mortgage assistance

The Iowa Association of Realtors partnered with the National Association of Realtors to provide storm relief with a grant of $250,000. This grant can help with mortgage payment assistance or rental costs due to displacement up to $1,000 per applicant. Deadline to submit an application is Oct. 31.

Some scenarios that would be eligible:

 A homeowner with a mortgage that was displaced due to damage of their home.

 A homeowner with a mortgage living in their home without power due to the storm damage.

 A renter that was displaced due to damage of their apartment building.

To apply:

 Visit iowarealtors.com/news/derecho-storm-relief and fill out the application for disaster relief assistance.

 For questions, email derechorelief@iowarealtors or call 1-800-532-1515

You’ll need this information to complete your registration:

• Photo identification to show proof or residency (driver’s license or other government form of documentation)

• Copy of mortgage statement, mortgage payment coupon, lease agreement or rent statement

 One of the following to show proof of damage: Photos of damage; insurance estimate; copies of written claims, settlement proceeds of claim status reports; copies of repair estimates from contractors.


State assistance, for counties not approved for FEMA aid

FEMA aid for individuals is available for 11 counties including Linn, but Gov. Kim Reynolds also issued a state disaster proclamation for Audubon, Dallas, Cass, Clarke, Clinton, Greene, Grundy, Guthrie, Hardin, Iowa, Jackson, Johnson, Jones, Madison, Muscatine, and Washington counties.

Visit disasterrecovery.iowa.gov for details on available state aid.

For counties under the state disaster declaration, but where federal aid has not been approved for individuals and homeowners, the proclamation activates:

 The Disaster Case Management Program to address serious needs to overcome a disaster-related hardship, injury or adverse condition. Disaster case managers work with clients to create a disaster recovery plan and provide guidance, advice and referral to obtain a service or resource. There are no income eligibility requirements for the program; it closes 180 days from the date of the governor’s proclamation. For information on the Disaster Case Management Program, contact your local community action association or visit iowacommunityaction.org.

 The Iowa Individual Assistance Grant Program provides grants of up to $5,000 for households with incomes up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level or a maximum annual income of $43,440 for a family of three. Grants are available for home or car repairs, replacement of clothing or food, and temporary housing expenses. Original receipts are required for reimbursement for expenses related to storm recovery. The grant application and instructions are available on the Iowa Department of Human Services website. Potential applicants have 45 days from the date of the proclamation to submit a claim.


Assistance for Iowa WIC families for food replacement

The Iowa Department of Public Health will provide assistance for WIC families living in the 16 counties designated under the federal disaster declaration: Benton, Boone, Cedar, Clinton, Dallas, Jasper, Johnson, Jones, Linn, Marshall, Muscatine, Polk, Poweshiek, Scott, Story and Tama counties.

WIC foods purchased between Aug. 1 and 10 and destroyed or spoiled as the result of storm damage or power outage may be replaced. Any WIC foods purchased after Aug. 10 are not eligible for replacement.

To apply:

• WIC families must contact their local WIC agency no later than Aug. 31 to be considered for food replacement.

• Visit the IDPH website at idph.iowa.gov/WIC for more information on WIC and to find local offices or call 515-281-6650.


Help to replace food for families who receive other food assistance

Households that currently receive food assistance may request replacement of food destroyed because of storm damage, or spoilage as a result of a power outage. Households have until Sept. 17 to complete the form requesting replacement of food loss.

To apply:

• Digital submission: Download and complete the application form, then submit a clear image of the form to: ImagingCenter5@dhs.state.ia.us.

• Forms also are available at local Department of Human Services offices and are also available by mail. Completed paper forms can be submitted to local offices in person, by mail or by fax. Use the DHS Office Locator to find the nearest office or call 1-877-347-5678.


Help for farmers

While FEMA aid has not been approved to cover agriculture losses, the USDA has an emergency farm loan program that assists farmers to recover from destroyed grain bins, according to information shared by Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley’s office.

Farmers should work closely with their local Farm Service Agencies and crop insurance providers for disaster-related assistance. The Livestock Indemnity Program provides assistance for livestock deaths from adverse weather events. There also is help available for noninsured crops through the Noninsured Crop Assistance Program (NAP). Nursery tree operators and orchard growers may qualify for help through the Tree Assistance Program. The EQIP and Emergency Watershed Protection Program provides disaster-related recovery and conservation assistance. The Risk Management Agency administers the federal crop insurance program. More than 90 percent of Iowa farmers are covered by federal crop insurance. Producers are advised to follow up in writing within 15 days of reporting losses and crop damage to their insurance service provider.


Small Business Administration loans for business, residential

Low-interest federal disaster loans are available to Iowa businesses and residents as a result of President Trump’s major disaster declaration. Disaster loans up to $200,000 are available to homeowners to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate. Homeowners and renters are eligible for up to $40,000 to repair or replace damaged or destroyed personal property.

To apply:

 Visit disasterloanassistance.sba.gov/s, click “Apply Online” and follow the registration process and fill out the application.

 For questions, call 916-735-1500 or email FOCWAssistance@sba.gov.

You’ll need this information to complete your registration:



•  IRS Form 4506-T completed and signed (this allows the SBA to receive a transcript of your tax return)

 Complete copies, including all schedules, of the most recent federal income tax returns for the applicant business

 Other information that may be necessary is listed here.

Homeowners and renters:

•  IRS Form 4506-T completed and signed (this allows the SBA to receive a transcript of your tax return)


Disaster loans from local banks, credit unions

Many area banks and credit unions are providing hardship loans for people affected by the storm, some providing relief from payments for 90 days or more or delaying interest payments. For more information, contact your financial institution or visit the website. Financial institutions include MidWestOne, GreenState Credit Union, Veridian Credit Union, Hills Bank, Linn Area Credit Union, and many others.





Need a Roof Inspection or Estimate • Click here to contact us directly to help with your home!